Hazards of Dirty Air Ducts
Air ducts distribute air throughout your home, and dirty air ducts can affect the performance of the HVAC system, air quality, and raise your energy costs leading to higher bills. Due to the extreme cold in Minnesota residents often spend most of their time indoors and according to the Environmental Protection Agency or EPA most individuals spend 90% of their time indoors. If you already suffer from respiratory ailments then spending that much time breathing in dirty air is extremely harmful, so it is essential to have your air ducts cleaned. Below is a list of contaminants that may be lurking in your air ducts:
• Mold- If there is moisture in your ductwork then it can lead to mold growth that can damage your ductwork and cause health problems. Mold produces spores and allergens that can be distributed throughout your home causing health problems for anyone who breathes the contaminated air and especially children, individuals with allergies and asthma, as well as individuals with weak immune systems including chemotherapy patients or individuals living with HIV.
• Pollen- Many individuals have an allergic reaction to pollen which causes them to sneeze, have sinus congestion, and watery eyes. Pollen is one of the most common causes of allergies in the United States and is a fine powder that is produced by plants as part of their reproductive process.
• Dirt and Debris- Over time and use dirt, dust, debris, and other materials will build up in your air ducts and can impede the airflow through your ductwork.
• Pet Fur- Living in Minnesota means cold winters followed by warmer spring weather and this is when your pets will shed leaving hair all over your house. This pet hair can also accumulate in your air ducts.
• Insect Nests- Insects like wasps and bees will sometimes build their nests inside a dwellings ductwork. Particles from the nest as well as insect waste and body parts can not only form in your air ducts, but they can be dispersed through the building.
• Animal Nests- Animals may also find their way into your air duct and build their nests. These animals can range from mice to raccoons and not only can they clog your ductwork their fur and feces can be distributed throughout your home. In a worst-case scenario, the animal can become trapped and then die causing an awful odor as well as potentially harmful material as the animal decomposes.
If you suspect that you may have dirty air ducts due to any of the above issues, then it is vital that you have your air ducts inspected and cleaned. Call Air Duct Cleaning in Minnesota at (888) 449-9776 and speak with one of our expert staff today to discuss your questions and concerns regarding your air duct system.